Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hurry Up and Wait

I've come to the conclusion that building a house is easier than building a small cottage on a lake.  I think once I get things started that will change but the permits and procedures are driving me nuts!  Once we committed to the project I just wanted to dig a hole but things don't happen that fast.  As I alluded to earlier there are some "extra" parties involved in a project like this.  First is the health department.  Because of the need for a septic system and being so close to the lake it has to be designed and approved before you can even apply for any other permits.

Tomorrow at noon the health department will have our designed system and application.  Then I can apply for a construction permit from the county.  That will take a week to review but to keep things rolling I'm mailing in the application tomorrow morning along with all the documentation they request.

Once I have the county permits secured then I get to approach the Apple Canyon Association Building Committee for their approval.  I found out last week that they only meet once a month on the first Saturday of the month.  Since that is this coming Saturday I am planning a road trip to Apple River to attend the meeting.  Even though I'm a week away at best from presenting my application to them I just don't think it can hurt to introduce myself, in person, and let them know what we are planning to build.  Laying the ground work can only help head off any items I might have missed or any concerns they might have.

One thing that made me feel a little better this morning is when I talked to the sub contractor that will be digging for the foundation he told me they are probably still 2-3 weeks away from even being able to get their equipment to the site.  Since most of the roads into the area are gravel there are weight restrictions at certain times of the year when the roads are still too soft.  Who would have thunk?  So even if I had all the permits and approvals I would still be waiting.

So I will take a big deep breath and relax.  Unlike building a house we really have no deadlines.  We don't HAVE to have it finished because we have to move out of one place and into another.  I am learning in my semi-retirement to slow down and relax more.  I still have a long way to go but I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment