Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Waiting Game

Haven't been blogging lately because not much new to report.  I did get some good news this week from the Amish crew that will be framing things.  I am now #3 on their list.  That should mean we will be framed up and dry before the end of July.  That is sooner than I expected.  Even though the weather has been terrible, wet all spring and muddy every week, it really hasn't affected the construction because I knew, going in, that in order to get Ruben and his crew we would have to wait.

So as it turns out we might get real lucky and have a dry week when we build.  That is always a plus.  Since July is usually one of the drier months I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Took Kelsey and her husband Jay out last week to show Jay around.  He's the only one that hadn't been to the site yet.  While we were looking at the foundation (picture below) Kelsey says "so dad you're only having one window in the basement?" to which I replied "oh shit!"

Framed in Egress Window

Wall where other (2) smaller windows were supposed to be.

Somewhere along the way the foundation contractor and I had a misunderstanding and he didn't frame in for the smaller basement windows that would be in the utility room and the basement bathroom.  Remember early on how I said you have to expect problems?  The funny part is I have been out a half dozen times since they poured the walls and never even noticed!  Thank goodness Kelsey asked when it was still pretty easy to fix! 

So this week a company that specializes in sawing concrete came out and cut the openings in.  No big deal.

One of two saw cut window openings.

One of my part-time jobs recently has been doing some contract work for Deere in Dubuque.  We are receiving equipment in that comes packaged in big wood crates.  The wood gets hauled to landfill.  Friday I brought my trailer and loaded some up to use as walkways if it does get muddy, 4*4's to stack materials on to keep them off the ground and a nifty space saving platform where I will locate the porta-potty.  It acts as a bridge over the front culvert so it will be out of the way and dry.  

 Porta-Potty bridge / platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment