Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Walk the Talk

We all have people in our lives that make a big impact on who we are.  One of those people in my life was Bob Leisinger.  I first met Bob when I was in my 30's.  We both worked for John Deere.  He was asked to come to the Quad Cities, from Waterloo, to help on a project.  Bob, at the time, was in his 50's.  We worked closely together on the project and became very good friends.  Since he was the "outsider" at the East Moline Foundry I helped him get acquainted and comfortable in his new environment.

We learned a lot from each other but to be fair I learned much more from Bob.  Many nights, while working on 3rd shift, we would have some long conversations on just about every topic from family to politics.  One of the topics we spoke frequently about was retirement.  When would be the right time?  How much money should someone have saved?  Etc.

Another very frequent topic was our shared dream to someday have a vacation cottage on a lake somewhere.  Bob told me a story about a time he had a chance to buy one at a very good price but talked himself out of it.  He said he always regretted that decision but that he still planned to one day have that place.

Ironically many years later the East Moline Foundry closed and I was transferred to Waterloo.  Once again Bob and I got to work together on a very important project.  This time I was the "outsider" and Bob went out of his way to help me and my family feel at home in my new job and in a new community.

I lost my good friend Bob several years ago.  Bob had a wonderful wife and loved his family but never realized that one dream of his to have a vacation get-a-way.  As I sit here tonight, now in my 50's, it's time for me to walk-the-talk, put-up-or-shut-up, or whatever old cliche you want to use.  I don't want to someday look back and "wish I would have".  My wife Denise's favorite encouragement cliche is "life's too short" so get on with it and as usual she is right.  So here we go.  Over the next several months I am going to build that cottage.......for me......for my family.......and for Bob.

2 comments:

  1. Well, your first post made me cry. So we're off to a good start, dad! Way to go on the blog, Mr. Social Network! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Mike! I always thought you were a really good writer. I'm glad you're stretching your writing muscles. I may blog too someday, if I ever get to retire.

    ReplyDelete