Friday, February 11, 2011

Bad Budget Start

I think the thing that gives me the most stomach aches when it comes to building is all the rules, applications and fees.  It just seems like everybody has their hands in your pockets and there is nothing you can do about it.  Rules are rules.  What I've now also learned is that when you build in a specialized lake community you can multiply the fees, rules and applications by a factor of three!

I'm not saying we don't need building codes and rules to protect the quality of these areas but some of these sure seem redundant, excessive or unnecessary.  I'll let you be the judge but suffice it to say I did not have this much budgeted for permits and fees!

Association Fees:
Building Permit                          $500    plus $.55 for every square foot over 800 sf  ($885 total)
Environmental Debris Bond       $500    refundable I guess as long as I don't alter the environment
Environmental Impact Fee         $1100  non-refundable.  What the heck is this all about?
GPS Fee                                  $325    to plot everything on the lot after we finish building
Sub Contractor Fees                $225    the subs have to pay to "register" with the association
General Contractor                   $325   to register.  If homeowner acts as own general fee is waived!
                  
County Fees:
Application                                $50   base fee
Building Permit                          Didn't I have one of these already?  ($300 - $450)
Inspection Fees                         $50 per inspection  (I think there will be 4 required)

Then there will be applications and fees to the health department because there will be a septic system.  Fees to connect to the water and electrical systems and I'm certain there are some I have forgotten or haven't learned of yet.

All of this before you can even dig a hole or pound a nail!

Kind of takes the fun out the big start.  I'll come to grips with it in a week or so but for now I have a stomach ache and am going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment