Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Right Tool for the Job

Over the last 30 - 40 years I have built my entire tool collection free of charge.  Got your attention?  OK maybe not exactly but here is what I do.

If I built a deck that would have cost me $2000 to contract but did it myself for $1000 I rewarded myself with a tool I wanted.  Many times that is a purchase "in advance" because it was a specialized tool either needed for the job or one that would make the job much easier.

Having the right tools can be critical to doing a quality job.  I usually like to buy high quality tools but not always.  If it is a tool I will use frequently then I usually buy the best or something high end.  If it is something I might not use again I won't spend any more than I have to.

For example:  I bought a ceramic tile saw when I did my first tiling job.  There were several for $300 to $400 but the typical tile job doesn't require that many cuts and I didn't have plans to use it a lot so I found a cheap one for $100.  I've used it probably 5 times since, still the original blade and it works fine.

The Greatest Tool Invention

By far the greatest tool invention ever is the nail gun!  Back in the old days when deck boards were nailed down, not screwed,  I spent an entire day nailing by hand...with a hammer.  The next day the back of my hand was so swollen from the vibration and pounding that I couldn't put on a glove.  I agree I am a wuss but thank God I don't have to do that anymore.  Nail guns that run from compressed air come in a wide range of applications.  The differences are the result of different types of nails.  A "framing" nailer will shoot nails required to generally perform rough construction like framing walls to a house.  A "finish" nailer or "brad" nailer on the other hand will shoot smaller, thinner, nails used in performing more artistic interior finishing jobs.

    Finish Nail Gun                        Framing Nail Gun

Trivia 

Did you know that the tip of the nails for air driven finish nails aren't pointed like the finish nails you would drive with a hammer?  One problem with manually driving finish nails is the pointed end creates a wedge that stresses the wood more and leads to split trim boards.  A nailer on the other hand uses a more squared off or blunt end on the nails.  This acts to crush the wood fibers instead of driving a wedge into them and far less splitting of the wood.

I've even got as creative as sharing the cost of a tool.  My good friend Tom Glancy is another do-it-yourselfer.  We were both interested in learning to install wood floors but the specialized "cleat" nailer cost about $400.  Since neither of us were in a big hurry we decided to buy it together and trade it back and forth when needed.  To make things even more interesting Tom lives in St Louis and I in Cedar Falls, Iowa.  That old nailer has some miles on it and has done a lot of floors over the years.


                                         Cleat Nail Gun for Wood Floors


So maybe the result of your hard work won't be to buy a tool for yourself but regardless don't forget to reward yourself with something.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment